Their visit started with a harrowing drive through unfamiliar territory in driving rainstorms. Most of the week–with the exception of Thursday morning–weather was perfect. Discussion topics were myriad and any mean-spirited implications were in jest.
- The $5000 mutt, changes to last will and testament being considered.
- Trip to veterinarian by the 18th, before warranty ran out. Since when did pets come with warranties?
- New dog couldn’t be left alone–even on bathroom trips.
- Kennel cough contagious to other dog. Trip to vet–another $75.00.
- Sibling rivalries–new dog problems were, alleged to be, all my fault. Who was most popular in high school?
- Childhood recollections: Playing in pig slop. Mother’s cooking. Favorite teachers? Who was most mischievous?
- Discussed children, grandchildren–no great-grandchildren at this point.
- Activities: Walked the new pier. Visited Ft. Morgan historic site. Toured scenic Bon Secour, Magnolia Springs. Spent time at Dauphin Island beach and Sea Lab. Visited National Naval Aviation Museum and Pensacola’s old town. Stopped for ice cream–rainstorm struck while waiting under canopy. Dined at favorite local restaurants. Bought pecans at a pecan farm. Shopped for antiques and souvenirs. Exchanged pleasantries and promises to visit each other in near future.